Saturday 1 September 2007

Finally here!

I can't believe it! I'm finally here! Yesterday was such a long day that I was far too tired to post an entry last night. We set off from home-base in Norwich at 9:30pm Thursday night and arrived at my new apartment at 12:48pm French time (which is essentially 11:48am by English time, as it's an hour ahead here).

The journey seemed to pass really quickly between home and the ferry port at Dover; but then again, I was
dozing on and off all the way! I sleepily listened to my family rummaging around in the car for the passports, first to show the French police and then for the English ones. Next a female customs officer inquired about our reasons for travel and Mum couldn't resist an opportunity to boast "We're here to take my daughter to university in Paris. She's going to the Sorbonne, you know..." Anyway, this woman asked if she could check the boot of the car, but after one glance she backed away hurriedly. I don't blame her; it was absolutely PACKED! Two huge pink flowery suitcases, countless bags of shoes and handbags, along with 1 kilo bags of pasta tactfully wedged in, and the customs lady was smart enough to know when she'd bitten off more than she could chew! Well, it was some hardcore packing in there and she really didn't fancy messing with it!

Once on the ferry, we made our way directly to the duty-free shop. I knew stuff was supposed to be much cheaper when sold in between countries, but this was ridiculous! The perfume that I had asked Lei to get from Boots with her staff discount was nearly five quid cheaper than the discounted price I paid for it! As soon as the engines started rumbling beneath our feet, I nagged the "fam" to join me out on deck and we did the whole tourist she-bang: posing for photos in front of the White cliffs (which were more pinky-orange due to the reflection of the street lamps). It was quite awesome to feel the power of the motors roaring through the floor of the deck and watching the water, frothing and churning in the wake of the ferry.

We reached a point, not too far across the Channel, when Adam spotted the amber glow of Calais and was surprised that he could still see Dover's glare in the opposite direction. It was quite a shock to realise how close we really are to France! We were forced to retreat indoors when it got a bit too nippy up top so we retired to a comfy sofa in the bar/family room. Twas very quiet; I'm sure the boat wasn't even 1/3 full! Mum offered to buy us all hot drinks after standing in the chilly sea-spray on the deck and Adam asked for an Espresso (which he's never tried before). We all watched him eye up the semi-filled teacup with disappointment; you could see he felt cheated with the small quantity of liquid compared to our brimming hot chocolate cups. Hehehe, when he'd taken his first brave mouthful of the oil slick from his cup, Dad grinned at the face my brother pulled and asked him "Is it OK?" Adam replied, with total sincerity: "Well, I've just experienced 4 simultaneous cold shivers, but it's fine." Bless the naivety of him! :op

Anyways, now feel fairly settled into our flat which is gorgeous! I'll be posting some pics as soon as I've worked out how to do that! It has a double bedroom, a pretty little bath/showeroom and a pretty big living room/dining room which has an alcove kitchen in one corner. We have cable TV, t'internet access, a DVD player, a stereo, a microwave, a clothes washer/dryer and most other little commodities that you take for granted at home, but really miss when you don't have them! There are two separate keys AND a security code, which can get quite confusing, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Will do some exploring soon, and when I do, I'll be posting lots of loverly piccies so you can all experience the adventures with me!

Will post again soon! xxxx

No comments: